Monday, August 26, 2013

Doors and Legacies; Amsterdam

Back in the States after a whirlwind trip, I've been reminiscing about Old Amsterdam's amazingly preserved architecture. Aside from walking in the Jordaan and seeing the houses literally leaning over the canals, I'm was taken at the mere sight of fabulous doors, windows and walkways.
But of all the walkways and doors I passed, this one was the most significant. This is the door to the Anne Frank Haus, the front entrance that led to the warehouse above which she and her family hid for over two years before being discovered and taken away by the Nazis. Going into this incredibly preserved piece of history and seeing her original diaries and notebooks I was so moved and shaken that it was all I could do not to cry. But what moved me further still was watching the 2.5 hour queue form behind me down three city blocks to visit her room. Her legacy will never be forgotten...

On a lighter note, as I walked through the old Jewish Quarter I happened to pass this other door. It's the very first, (and only) European Out of the Closet and it just opened it's doors in Holland. Of course we had to go in and check it out, and we found an amazing, vintage Art Deco tin just waiting to be snatched up.
Jacket: Boutique, Bag: Brandy Melville, Gladiators, Leggings and Blouse: Zara
 
 
So many doors, so little time...

With Love,

Noa B

1 comment:

  1. Amazing outfit ;) You are very pretty :)

    I follow you beautiful blog. I hope you will follow me back and I will wait for you in my blog www.gabusiek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete